our local zoo offers monthly modules (composed of four meetings) for homeschoolers. this is lil's second year participating in the science classes. and today was day one after the summer break.
lil's friend caleb joined her for the first time this morning. he was thrilled. or really annoyed. but actually. i'm gonna go with confused about the fresh zoo smell.
this month's topic is the weather. the kids made thermometers with water bottles. to make one of these bad boys, you'll need to gather:
- plastic bottle
- isopropyl alcohol (we used 70%)
- food coloring
- modeling clay
1. fill about a quarter of the bottle with equal parts water and alcohol.
2. add a couple drops of food coloring.
3. insert the straw. do not let the straw touch the bottom of the bottle.
4. take the modeling clay and form a seal around the straw and bottle mouth.
5. gently hold your hands around the bottom of the bottle. avoid squeezing it.
6. as your hands warm the bottle, the solution will expand and rise up the straw.
also. if you leave your bottle thermometer in a hot car, you'll have a wet and food color dye filled cup holder. and the modeling clay will be mushy. and the kids will beg to play with it. and you'll let them because you're an awesome mom. and as they stretch and pull the mushy clay, you'll gag. and it'll take all the strength left in you not to drink what's left in that bottle thermometer.
man. zoo school is so awesome.